The technologies used in modern farming requires accurate control of the interior temperature and humidity of the air inside the buildings used for animal husbandry and crop storage. Efficient thermal insulation and ventilation inside the buildings is of key importance in maintaining the conditions needed for the cost-saving and safe storage of crops and for creating optimum environmental conditions suitable for promoting livestock development and animal health.
Thermal insulation of the ceilings and roof structures responsible for approx. 60% of the total heat loss is of outstanding importance.
Modern farming methods require efficient buildings where temperature and humidity can be closely controlled.
The manufacturing procedure of extruded polystyrene (XPS) plates produces a homogeneous, closed-cell material structure having smooth surface skin (the so-called extrusion crust) which features various favorable characteristics, like:
• permanently high insulation value,
• water and frost resistance,
• high strength,
• high elastic rigidity,
• high resistance to damp diffusion
The quality of RAVATHERM™ XPS thermal insulation has been proven also in buildings used in agriculture, for several decades.
Optimum interior temperature can be maintained economically by ensuring efficient heat protection of the building as a whole. Under the various climatic conditions, thickness of the heat insulation depends also on the functions and structural design of the building.
The proficiently installed thermal insulation:
• reduces the heat loss and, accordingly, the costs of heating
• helps in preserving the health of livestock
• protects the physical condition of the building
• improves the productivity and economy of operations.
RAVATHERM XPS 300 STG insulation boards used in agricultural buildings as visible insulating suspended ceiling offers several benefits:
• The all-round tongue and groove edge profile of the boards provide a homogeneous, thermal-bridge-free insulation.
• RAVATHERM XPS STG can be positioned either at the top of the roof or as internal insulation below the roof structure.
• Additional protection layer generally is not required if RAVATHERM XPS STG boards are used as internal lining of roofs, ceilings or walls in poultry sheds.
• The cleaning of the surface of the insulation boards can be done by pressure hosing or jet steaming.
In order to ensure a long lifetime and maximum efficiency for the thermal insulation, hygiene regulations and rules must be strictly observed in crop storage and livestock buildings. The regular cleaning and disinfection of RAVATHERM™ XPS 300 STG plates’ surfaces are especially important. Since the thermal insulation do not get damaged by water or moisture, the various cleaning and disinfection methods can be applied comprehensively.
In case of sidewalls, the XPS heat insulating plates shall be fixed to the wall with dowels or laths, completed (primarily in case of external wall surfaces) with mechanically fixed and installed cladding.
In case of wooden-frame structures, the XPS heat insulating plates can be fixed directly to the wooden structure, to its internal or external side.
In case of a steel frame, the XPS plates must be fixed to the steel profiles installed to hold also the facade cladding along the supporting structure's external side.