SAFE AND EFFICIENT FLOOR INSULATION
Non-insulated floors to the soil or unheated rooms can be responsible for a significant heat loss. Besides reducing the heat loss, proper insulation of floors helps to increase the overall comfort significantly. Additionally, the heat storage capacity of an insulated floor is utilized more effectively. Floor insulation materials are often subject to increased long-term static and dynamic loads. High compressive strength and minimum deformation are basic requirements.
For more than 40 years XPS insulation products have been successfully used in applications being exposed to extreme stresses:
- insulation of cold-store floors,
- airfield hangar floors,
- parking decks
- and as frost heave protection of railway substructures.
RAVATHERM™ XPS offers several advantages for insulation of floor structures:
- High load-bearing capacity due to high compressive strength and E-modulus,
- Low compression,
- Reduced thickness of load-distributing layer (screed),
- Long-term high insulation value,
- Simple floor build-up,
- Easy and fast installation,
- Safe floor structure long-term.
INSULATION OF RESIDENTIAL FLOORS
The advantages of the extruded polystyrene foam can be utilized especially at ground-bearing floor structures. Besides a traditional insulated floor build-up – where RAVATHERM XPS insulation is placed above the waterproofing membrane laid on concrete slab – the negligible water absorption and the zero capillarity of extruded polystyrene foam enable inverted floor insulation method, where RAVATHERM XPS boards are placed directly on 10-15 cm compacted and leveled hardcore, under the reinforced concrete floor slab. Between the insulation and the concrete slab PE-foil separation layer is placed, which plays also a role as basic protection of moisture transport. However, in case of damp soil, waterproofing membrane should be installed on the top of the concrete slab.
RAVATHERM XPS boards offer efficient and longterm solution also for insulation of intermediate floors:
- floors above unheated spaces,
- heated floors,
- attic floors.
INSULATION OF INDUSTRIAL FLOORS
Insulation products specified for industrial type floors must permanently withstand high stresses caused by:
- Service loads (trucks, high rise shelving, forklifts, machines, aircrafts)
- Static loads (stresses caused by the structure of the building itself )
- Dynamic loads (starting/braking operations)
- Mechanical loads during the construction phase of the building.
Depending on the load grade, RAVATHERM XPS 300 SL, RAVATHERM XPS 500 SL or RAVATHERM XPS 700 SL boards offer good insulation value, high strength and stability over the life time of the building. For the structural calculation of an insulated floor build-up, the long-term compressive strength of the insulation product is important.
The thickness and reinforcement of the load distribution concrete slab should be dimensioned by a specialist engineer.